Parallax 'The Hay Saver'
Discover the Hay Saver - an innovative solution for reducing hay wastage. This durable, high-quality slow feeder is designed to mimic natural grazing habits, promoting healthier digestion and reducing the risk of choke and colic in horses. It's carefully crafted ensuring it withstands the rigors of daily use and lasts longer. The Hay Saver is easy to fill and versatile, suitable for use with a wide variety of hay types. Opt for the Hay Saver, and make feeding time more efficient and economical.
- Reduces hay wastage by up to 50% - versus feeding directly on the floor.
- Suitable for use in the Field, stable, corral or pen.
- Large enough for two or three horses Ideal for horses on restrictive diets.
- MASSIVE 250L Capacity! (Dimensions: 80cm x 110cm x 55cm Tall) Made from TOUGH, frost resistant food grade plastic.
- Encourages healthy eating patterns and allows horses to eat at a natural level.
- Can help to prevent cribbing, ulcers, weaving, chewing, & feed aggression.
- Safe for shod or unshod horses.
- Can my horse get its head or foot stuck?
- We cannot guarantee that any horse will not try to put its feet inside the Hay-Saver however all gaps are kept to a minimum size so a horse should not have any problems with trapping. Of course the horse is designed to put its head in the feeder to eat directly through the grills.
- Can I only use Hay in The Hay -Saver?
- NO!! You can use Hay, haylage & even soaked hay,
- How can I also use the Hay-Saver to soak hay, or as a water trough?
- The Hay Saver can easily be drilled with a 1” hole to take a standard water butt tap. To use as a water trough simply remove the lid and fill with water- the full capacity is 250 Litres.
- Can my horse reach all the way to the bottom of the Hay-Saver to get all of the hay out?
- Yes!** As the hay is eaten the grill will simply drop down to the bottom of the feeder. The trickle feeding system will also slow the feeding process down by upto 50% as the horse has to nibble and work for its feed.
- How much hay can you get in?
- Each hay saver can hold up to one small rectangular bale of hay (approx 20KG)
- My horse can be playful. Can he get the lid off?
- no, unless it hasn’t been closed properly.
- Toppling - What will happen if my horse tips the Hay Saver over?
- The grill will stop the hay from falling onto the floor. So very little hay will be wasted – if any!
- Water - How can I deal with the small amount of water that sometimes accumulates in the bottom of the Hay Saver?
We recommend that the Hay-Saver is filled daily with forage. Each time you re-fill the feeder simply empty any water out then. The container itself will limit the amount of rain damaging your hay by protecting it from the elements. You can also drill drainage holes if you dont intend to use it as water trough.
- What happens in high winds?
- The hay saver itself weighs 12KG so should not easily blow away! However if you are in an extremely windy position we recommend simply weighing it down with some bricks.
- How many horses can use the Hay-Saver?
- It is suitable for three ponies or two horses to eat from at once.
Caution: Ensure that the hay you place into The Hay-Saver is not overly compressed. It is advisable to separate some hay or remove a few biscuits, allowing your horse to feed comfortably and without any difficulties.
**the grill stops “dropping” to the base of the tub 8” (20cm ) from the bottom of the tub, however the horse can then tilt the grill and reach any remaining hay at this point it sits 3” (7.5cm) from the base of the tub. Generally by the time the grill is 8” away from the bottom of the tub there is not enough hay left to gorge on. It is just the scraps & seeds!